Adapt these ideas for your own program.
Excerpts from the FMP spring semester 2014
Reminders for mentors
- Be prepared!
- Follow your lesson plan by beginning each session with an icebreaker!
- Make sure everyone is involved!
- Activities are mandatory!
- Be excited about activities--enthusiasm is contagious!
Schedule (Games begin most of these sessions.)
- Jan. 18 - Welcome back/ grades/ exemptions
- Jan. 22 - Paper air plane contest in small groups (rules)
Turn in winning planes to Mrs. Hurst with name of winning student and teacher clearly written on it at the end of mentoring today.
- Jan. 29 - Air plane contest, "Plane Off" - whole group competition (practice gym)
- Feb. 5 - Motivational video - "Touching Them All" (YouTube), view and discuss
- Feb. 12 - Valentine's Day activities
- Feb. 19 - Next week is the final mentoring session/enrollment
Discuss enrollment for next year.
Discuss Career Tech, concurrent enrollment, Advanced Placement (AP) classes.
- Feb. 26 - Final session!
Exchange with your group, for example, a favorite quote or an inspiring story.
- March 5 - Mentors only meet for a party as a thank you and provide feedback on this year's mentoring sessions.
"Expectations for Boomer Mentors" are in the next post as an adaptable model.
Again thanks to Woodward High School's Anjanette Laverty and Tacy Hurst, Dec. 2013