Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mentor-Mentee Activities, High School, I

Excerpts from My Mentor & Me, The High School Years, published in 2001, by Dr. Susan Weinberger, also known as "Dr. Mentor," and our additional comments








Do an icebreaker or other getting to know each other activity.

Exercise.

  • Play basketball in a gym or outside.
  • Walk around the school while talking.
  • Dance--teach each other new steps.
  • "Aerobisize."
  • Jump rope. 
  • Play volleyball [even if only perfecting how to serve].
  • Jog (keep an exercise log.
  • Play hacky sack. 
  • Throw a frisbee.
  • Throw or catch a football. 
  • Throw baseballs, bat a ball, or practice catching.
  • Practice putting. [Used golf clubs can be found at many thrift stores.]

Write a personal mission statement. Ask your mentee to answer these questions.


  • What is exciting and not so exciting about my life right now?
  • What would be the ideal day in my life? Who would I be? Where would I be?
  • What are two-three talents or abilities I believe I have which others may also think I possess? 
  • What is one talent or ability that I believe I have or "could have" but others don't seem to see it in me?
  • What moment in my life brought me the most personal satisfaction or sense of accomplishment? 
  • What is my life about? What are my values? What am I working toward to accomplish in my life?
Keep it short! Encourage your mentee to write a draft. Have your mentee reread it and say: "I think this is who I really am!"

Set goals.

  • Be realistic.
  • Be challenging.
  • Have a deadline.
  • Be specific.
  • Be attainable.

Discuss cars. [Research online if needed.]


  • Paying for the car
  • First step in getting a driver's license.
  • Practice questions for the written exam
  • Kinds of car insurance and how to pay for it
  • Costs
          -    car tags and driver's license
          -    normal repairs and maintenance
          -    gasoline
  • Kind of car mentee would like
  • Pros and cons of a new car versus a used car
  • Other responsibilities in owning a car
  • Distracted or impaired driving
  • Visiting several car lots and discussing sales pitches 

Discuss education and training for future lifestyles.


  • Explore online what different occupations require in education and earn.
  • Discuss steps to get training or education.
  • Remember life now is a journey. Education and training never end.

Be well-rounded.


  • Community service and school involvement
  • Sports, band, vocal music, theater, or school organizations

Write a little story about the cultural heritage of the mentor and mentee after sharing.


Solve problems.

  • Identify the problem.
  • Identify the feelings surrounding the conflict.
  • Brainstorm solutions.
  • Choose one idea to try.
  • Evaluate the success of the plan.
  • If the solution is ineffective, choose another idea and proceed.

Communicate with your mentee.


  • I care - Let your mentee know that he or she is important to you.
  • I see - Focus on observable behavior.
  • I feel - Give your mentee the benefit of knowing how you feel about the behavior.
  • Pause - Be prepared for silence, anger, a sad story or an emotional outpouring.
  • I want - Once you have heard your mentee's perspective, let him or her know what you would like to have happen.
  • I will - Let your mentee know what you will do to support him or her. Leave the door open.

Demonstrate etiquette and good social skills.


  • Use "please" and "thank you."
  • Never wear your hat or cap indoors.
  • Practice shaking hands.
  • Practice dining out, e.g., place napkin in lap first, identify correct use and placement of utensils, know the bread plate is on your left, etc. 
  • Research online or in books together and then practice.

Demonstrate and discuss cell phone etiquette.

Investigate a post-secondary training and education.

  • Visit a local college or career tech [perhaps with other mentors and mentees as a special event or take along his or her parents].
  • Arrange a guided tour prior to your visit. 
  • Research admissions and costs. 
  • Practice completing a college application.
  • Investigate how to pay for further education or training.
  • Review all costs.

Help your mentee begin a resume and then make a professional draft.


  • Jobs - babysitting, yard work, custodial work, life guard, and other paid positions
  • School activities
  • Out-of-school activities
  • Personal interests or hobbies
  • Entire educational experience
  • Awards or honors
  • Special skills and talents
  • Objectives 

Design and make a business card. Consider including a personal logo.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone
  • Fax if applicable
  • E-mail
  • Website or social media

More to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment