Monday, May 19, 2014

AmazonSmile - Online Shopping & Giving

Today at the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence's Local Education & Fall Forum 2014 Committee Meeting, we learned about the following, used by Cheyenne Education Foundation and others.

Thanks to Susie Thurmond, Cheyenne Education Foundation for sharing this opportunity, which Cheyenne's foundation uses.

Charities can register on AmazonSmile so that a small percentage of shopping done by supporters will go back to the nonprofit. Read the instructions online; however, Thurmond says that the foundation is registered and has a bank account into which proceeds are electronically deposited. Even minute amounts of charitable giving will grow over time, especially if nonprofits educate their supporters. This service costs the nonprofit nothing.


When I logged into AmazonSmile by entering my email and account password, Amazon recognized me and offered a few charities from which to choose or allowed me to add the charity of my choice. See below.


As you see from this screen shot, every purchase I make will go to the Wounded Warrior Project unless I change the charity. 


When I am ready to shop, at the top of the screen is my chosen charity. When I logged out and back into my "regular" Amazon account, I was asked if I wanted to shop from AmazonSmile instead. 










As an update, here is what Kiwanis International sent all of its 2012-13 and 2013-14 leadership plus anyone who has access to PR for their clubs via a 5-20-14 email:
Smile! You can now shop online and support our foundation at the same time
The Kiwanis International Foundation is now on AmazonSmile. That means the next time you shop on Amazon, a portion of your purchase will be donated by Amazon back to our foundation. To do this, go to www.smile.amazon.com, log in as normal and choose the Kiwanis International Foundation from the drop down list. Then, shop as you normally would. It’s a simple and convenient way to get a little something for yourself and give a little something back to us.

Explore this option!


Thanks to Dr. Karen Rose, director of OFE's Local Education Foundation Outreach, for including mentoring at the meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment