(PRNewsFoto/Storyopolis Fine Art/AP Images)Dr. Seuss passed away in 1991 at age 87, but new generations of children still learn to read—and learn to flex their imaginations—with his unforgettable characters and rhymes to this day. That’s why we’re marking his birthday with some of his most inspiring quotes. Some are drawn from his books and others from interviews, but they’re all equally worth remembering today.
Today, we’re celebrating the 110th birthday of Theodor Geisel—you may know him as Dr. Seuss. The prolific children’s book author was born on March 2, 1904, and his mark on kids’ literature was so indelible, the National Education Association created National Read Across America Day (which will be celebrated on March 3 this year) in honor of the day.
|Dr. Seuss poses with models of some|
of his characters. Getty Images.
Also below are some of Dr. Seuss’s planning sketches from a few of his beloved books. For more, check out Seussville.com.
|You can see the Cat in the Hat take shape in this preliminary |
drawing circa 1958. (Courtesy of Suessville.com)
1. “You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
2. “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way!”
3. “You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And you’re the one who’ll decide where to go.”
4. “Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!”
5. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
|Even in early sketches, Sam did not like |
green eggs and ham. (Courtesy of Suessville.com)
7. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”
9. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
10. “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
|Even Dr. Suess's rough sketches are |
enchanting. (Courtesy of Suessville.com)
12. “Will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)”
13. “If things start happening, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.”
14. “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
|Another sketch from "Green Eggs and |
Ham." (Courtesy of Suessville.com)
16. “If you never did you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.”
17. “With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.”
18. “You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”