Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mentor Focus, Corporate

Near the end of the 2011-12 school year, I volunteered a couple of hours at Oklahoma City's Mark Twain Elementary School for its Super Kids Day.  While there, I met several Devon Energy mentors, who had also volunteered for a short time.  One of the mentors shared his story. 
Beverly

I have tutored the same student at Mark Twain Elementary for the past three years.  When I started I really didn’t know what to expect, but I thought it would be a good experience, and my employer has a relationship with the school and actively encourages anyone who is interested to participate.   
At first it was tough to get know a third-grade student, especially mine as he could have a short attention span.  By the end of the first year, we had built a relationship, and things were better.  I asked my student if he wanted a different tutor the following year, and he said, “No way!”  So, I signed up the following year and again the year after that.   
This past year after the summer off, I was greeted with a bear hug from my student.  It has been great watching my student grow and learn.  The last I checked he was leading his class in a reading race to read the most and earn points.  I know he will do well in the future.  I’m bummed not to have the same student anymore, but I look forward to meeting another next fall.
Josh Kirschner
Geologist
New Ventures
Devon Energy
Oklahoma City, OK

Photo:  Devon mentors Jennifer Spaniol, Alicia Hewlett, and Josh Kirschner after overseeing
playground games on Super Kids Day, 5-24-12

Addendum

Devon Energy, a colossal supporter of Oklahoma City as well as the state of Oklahoma, sponsors strong programs in mentoring and education.  Read about some of Devon's educational partnerships, e.g.,  its Clara Luper scholarship at Oklahoma City University, involvement with OERB’s Petro Pros program, Devon NULITES (National Urban League Incentives to Excel and Succeed) Youth Program, and other high-impact ideas.

http://www.api.org/environment-health-and-safety/environmental-performance/public-private-partnerships/partnership-by-company/devon-energy.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment