Excerpts from MENTOR's PDF linked below:
"...for every dollar invested in effective mentoring programs, there is a return of $2.72."
"Nationwide, nearly one-third of high school students fail to graduate...approximately 1.3 million students drop out each year--averaging 7,200 every school day."
"The Alliance for Excellent Education estimate[d] that high school dropouts from the class of 2006-07 [would] cost the U.S. more than $329 billion in lost wages, taxes and productivity over their lifetimes..." [No known current research available]
"In summary, high school dropouts are:
- Less likely to have a job or earn less, on average, than high school graduates
- Less likely to have health insurance than those with more education and more likely to depend or Medicaid or Medicare for their coverage;
- More likely to depend on public assistance; and
- More likely to be incarcerated." See PDF for sources.
"...positive outcomes in three key areas:
- Socia-emotional development (higher self-esteem, better relationships with adults and peers);
- Behavioral/risk-related behavior (avoiding drugs/alcohol/juvenile justice issues, bullying);
- Academic performance (truancy, connection to school and adults), dropout indicators, achievement)."
Oklahoma Dropout Data: http://ok.gov/sde/student-dropout-report Ret. 6-21-13
175,671, Oct. 1, 2011 enrollment, grades 9-12 under 19 years of age
4,003 Oklahoma dropouts
2.3% dropout rate
This would exclude any child who dropped out before 9th grade.