Thursday, September 6, 2018

Two Mentors of Major General Jerry Holmes, Part II

Mentors change lives. Often adults recall and honor their mentors. Major General Jerry Holmes shares two mentors who changed him. 

Jerry Holmes, Maj. General, U.S. Air Force (Ret.)

Adjunct Faculty at University of Oklahoma

Maj.-Gen. Jerry Holmes
Introduction On October 17, 2018, General Holmes spoke about his mentors at the Jerry Holmes Leadership Program for Engineers and Scientists at the ExxonMobil Lawrence G. Rawl Engineering Practice Facility, University of Oklahoma in Norman. Dr. Kim Wolfinbarger, the director of the JHLPES, asked General Holmes to comment. Students and faculty who have interacted with and learned leadership from General Holmes absolutely love and respect him.

Major General Jerry Holmes Bio

I had two mentors in the Air Force. Both of them had a profound effect on my career and my life.


Brig.-Gen. Harry
M. Chapman

The first mentor was Brigadier General Harry M. Chapman.  I first worked for him in England when I was a young fighter pilot, and he was my wing commander (three levels above me). I was assigned to qualify him in the fighter aircraft that we flew at that time, the F-101, a very high-performance fighter that was unforgiving, and not easy to fly.  General Chapman had been a fighter pilot flying P-51s in WW2 and had shot down three German fighters. He was an experienced fighter pilot, but he had never flown the F-101, and my job was to teach him. I approached my assignment seriously and I worked General Chapman very hard because I wanted him to learn to fly our F-101 and not kill himself. He got annoyed with me for working him so hard, so he challenged me to a game of handball, and we played handball every day for about three weeks. I won every game.  So, General Chapman decided I was worth taking on as a protégé. He gave me wise advice that I did not like to hear at the time, but I followed it, and it put me on a path to become a commander, many years later, like General Chapman.


Brig.-Gen. W.L.
(Bill) Creech
My second mentor was General W.L. (Bill) Creech, for whom Creech Air Force Base in Nevada is named. I was a Colonel when I met General Creech. He was a 4-star General and Commander of Tactical Air Command (TAC), the largest combat training organization in the Air Force at that time. It has since been reorganized and renamed Combat Air Command. General Creech asked his subordinate commanders to nominate their best Colonel for him to interview for key jobs. My commander, Lt. General Arnold Braswell, nominated me to General Creech, and I was summoned for an interview. I must have pleased General Creech, because he assigned me to command the worst fighter wing in the entire Air Force (his words). That changed my life because that is when General Creech became my mentor. He didn’t want the “worst fighter wing” to fail.  General Creech told me to “make it better,” and he gave me broad latitude to do whatever I needed to do to make it happen. Together, the men and women of the 366 Fighter Wing at Mt. Home Air Force Base Idaho and I, made the wing one of the best, if not the very best in the Air Force, in every way it could be measured. I was their leader, but I soon discovered that, more importantly, I was their servant. It was a rewarding assignment, probably the best I ever had. That led to a series of command and staff assignments that General Creech assigned me, and in all of them, General Creech was my mentor.


After both of my mentors retired form the Air Force, we became very good friends.  But, while we were on active duty, it was a proper professional relationship.  Both of my mentors not only provided me valuable counseling, they also provided me great opportunities. I think that is what mentors should do.

Personal communication 6-29-18

No comments:

Post a Comment